Monday, April 11, 2011

An interesting twist











These are the three TV spots for the new Three Olives Vodka campaign. I think the reason I was drawn to them is the fact that it’s a simple concept. It starts off with the usual bar joke; three ___________ walk into a bar. Each one of the three spots showcases a different type of person: cowboys, sportscasters, and sugar daddies. They walk in the bar then do something stereotypical of that particular group in a comical way. I love the concept because it’s so expandable. The only real copy is the beginning of the joke so it’s very interchangeable. I also like the fact that it’s a cartoon because it’s different than what you normally see in alcohol ads. It’s typically people partying or elegant and simple. I thought about the color choice since all three of the TV spots were shades of blue. Would it be more interesting in slightly different colors? Maybe it would or maybe it wouldn’t portray the same feeling.

Here is a print ad of what Three Olives looked like before. It’s a clever campaign, just a different feel than the cartoon bar scene.



Found on Adweek and Youtube

2 comments:

  1. Although it's a cartoon with a small variety of colors, I also think it's a refreshing add because of a funny version of the joke-theme (especially the second one in my opinion). The tune also makes it more amusing because it's very catchy.
    I already noticed that cartoons are becoming popular again in the advertising-business. I'm not very fond of all of them but I can appreciate some, like this campaign for example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say, this is a very different twist from most alcohol ads. But I loved it. The second one made die laughing in my dorm room, and all three concepts were simple enough that anyone could understand. For example I do not ever watch sports, but I understood the whole instant replay immediatly.

    ReplyDelete