Sunday, October 31, 2010

Photography in advertising

I was recently researching Annie Leibovitz, a contemporary photographer, for another class but found her work interesting. She always uses celebrities in her photos, starting off doing stuff for Vanity Fair and Rolling Stone. Later she started doing photography for ads, her main point of focus still being celebrities. She would never concentrate on the product in the photographs so these ads are photographed to look more like portraits rather than ads. Of course in class we also try to do this. We want our ads to be so interesting and eye catching that you forget it's an ad.

Here are some ads she photographed for Disney that I thought were absolutely beautiful:









Check out the rest from this campaign

Another campaign she photographed for was American Express. Using celebrites, she showed them in personal environments. There's a certain "story" behind each one, like much of her other work. Here are some examples:






I found all of her work to be amazing and the ads are all beautifully designed. It definitely inspires me to create better visuals for my ads and it opens my eyes to all the different possibilities in advertising. A professional photographer can be helpful in some cases depending on the ad. I encourage the class to take a look at her work for some inspiration!

2 comments:

  1. With most advertising, image is everything. And photography is one of the most powerful ways to execute this. I have always loved annie and her work. This by far was some of the most memorable. However, the only thing I do not like is using celebrities for every form of advertising. Yes it works for American Express, but not for the Disney ads at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although the photographs are simply beautiful, The message isn't clear enough for me. I got so caught on who's in the Disney ads that I almost forget that they were ads. Having wonderful visuals is one a great thing, but you can't overwhelm the viewer or they most likely will lose your essential message.

    ReplyDelete